Pronunciation: Faatui (FAH-ah-TOO-ee) Tuitele (TOO-ee-TAY-lay)
Vitals: 6-3 | 310 lbs. | 3rd-year sophomore | Honolulu, Hawaii | St. Louis H.S.
- Was rated the top prospect in Hawaii, the No. 9 DT nationally, and the No. 83 player overall by 247Sports.
- Was rated the top prospect in Hawaii, the No. 6 DT nationally, and the No. 100 player overall by Rivals.
- Received 38 scholarship offers, and listed Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and Texas in his Top 5.
- UW assistant coach Ikaika Malloe, who hails from Hawaii, started recruiting him as a sophomore.
- Was at one time considered a five-star recruit before suffering injuries early in his senior season.
LINKS & STORIES
- 8/9/20: UW’s Faatui Tuitele, from the Hawaiian Projects, is No Project (SI.com)
- Had, by far, the most scholarship offers of anyone on the Washington roster
- Posted on twitter: “Rock bottom will teach you more than mountain tops ever will.”
- Dropped 15 lbs. in his first year on campus, trimmed up by training staff
- 6/3/20: Washington Football Breakout Stars: Faatui Tuitele (The Husky Haul)
- 7/8/19: Tuitele remains undaunted, despite the dent in his chest (Seattle Times, Part 2)
- Played through intense injuries his senior year of high school
- Suffered three torn ligaments, a dislocated elbow, a separated shoulder and a torn pec on his left side
- 7/7/19: Tuitele left home, but it never left him (Seattle Times, Part 1)
- Grew up in a 3-bedroom apartment shared by 11 family members
- His full first name is Faatuiolemotu
- Huge “MWH” tattoo on his back stands for “Mayor Wright Housing,” the projects where he grew up in Honolulu. Under that tattoo are the words “house of pain.”
- Earned a 3.9 GPA in four years at Saint Louis, came to UW looking to major in med, law or criminal justice
- 11/20/18: Tuitele to represent Hawaii football at All-American Bowl (USA Today)
- Is cousins with USC RB Vavae Malepeai